Thursday, 5 July 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.

Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.


Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
I’m pretty sure that almost everyone will have heard of this book by now, it seems to be a hot topic of conversation!
The basic plotline is similar to a lot of romances – boy and girl meet, instantly attracted, start a relationship but he is holding something back. This is where things differ slightly from your average romance, because it turns out that what Christian is hiding is the fact that he is a dominant, and he wants a submissive.
21-year-old Ana is pretty shocked when he shows her his ‘play room’, or his ‘red room of pain’ as she calls it. She’s a virgin and totally inexperienced, and has no idea how to cope with Christian’s idea of ‘normal’. The question is whether she can come to terms with what it is that Christian wants and needs, or whether beatings and bondage are just a step too far for her.


This book is seriously steamy! I used to say that the ‘Black Dagger Brotherhood’ books were my guilty secret, but I think Christian Grey may have actually surpassed them!

I can honestly say that the idea of bondage and beating do not appeal to me; in fact I think it is pretty dangerous to restrain someone so that they cannot break free if necessary – what if the other person has a heart attack and collapses, and you’re strung up and unable to get down? Not good! But it actually works in this book! As strange as the things are that Christian wants to do to Ana, they’re not ridiculously out-there, and the author thankfully doesn’t take it too far.

I think that one of my favourite parts of this book was the emails that Christian and Ana send to each other. They are so much more open and honest in their emails, and tend to say exactly what they are feeling, without finding the need to hide. Christian has obviously been scarred by something in his past, and Ana is just too embarrassed to talk about certain things with him, and being able to talk whilst not face-to-face seems to really help them communicate.

I also loved the way Ana spoke about her ‘inner goddess’, which was her way of expressing how she was feeling on a certain level inside, and I thought that this was done really well.
I have to say that I was shocked by the ending though, and I really want to get on to book 2 as soon as possible! If you’re not sure about this book for one reason or another I’d urge you to definitely give it a go! It has put a real smile on my face for 2 whole days!
9 out of 10.
(Book length: 7531 Kindle locations)



 

3 comments:

  1. I loved this series Sarah! I loved book two the most but they're all good. I was completely blown away. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved book FSOG but I was surprised that I did. This is the first book of this type that I read because a few friends suggested it (actually I believe they said I HAD to read them). I agree with your review completely and I don't think E.L. James took anything too far in this book. It was a great love story. Oh and the emails...loved them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this one, although the other girls in my book club didn't! This was definitely the best of the three though ☺

      Delete