Sunday, 29 July 2012

Fifty Shades Freed by E. L. James

Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3) 
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When unworldly student Ana Steele first encountered the driven, damaged young entrepreneur Christian Grey, it sparked a sensual affair that changed both their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and ultimately repelled by Christian's singular sexual tastes, Ana demanded a deeper commitment; determined to keep her, Christian agreed. Now, together, they have more -- love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of infinite possibilities. But Ana always knew that loving her Fifty Shades would not be easy and being together poses challenges neither of them ever anticipated. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian's opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own integrity, identity, or independence; Christian must somehow overcome his compulsion to control and lay to rest the horrors that blighted his past and haunt his present. Just when it seems that together their love can conquer any obstacle, tragedy, malice and fate combine to make Ana's worst nightmares come true.




Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Books for Reviews http://b4rbookclub.blogspot.com/)
This is the third book in the ‘fifty shades’ series, and opens to Ana and Christian on honeymoon. We get some flashbacks to the wedding and wedding night, and then it’s back to normal controlling Christian, and Ana who is always doing things that she doesn’t consider will annoy Christian.

The rest of the storyline focuses on Christian and Ana getting used to married life, and the myriad of things that Christian finds to complain at Anna about, the weirdo who seems to be stalking them, an emergency for Ana, and a couple of unexpected events.

As you can see, the summary of this book is pretty short, mainly because the whole point of the book is to read about Christian and Ana’s love-making rather than anything else. The storyline is basically just a vehicle for their erotic encounters, and while we all know that this is the case, if I say too much, you won’t have any surprises if you chose to read this book!

I personally am in two minds over this book. As I said, it’s mainly focused on the erotica, so if that’s what you’re looking for, then you’re going to get what you’re looking for, if you’re looking for a bit more of a ‘story’, then you might be disappointed.

The main issues I had with the book were related to repetition and just plain cheesiness! Every few lines it was ‘Mrs Grey’ this and ‘Mr Grey’ that. I know that they’ve just gotten married, but this was something that continued through the entire book, and just went past the possible ‘sweet’ connotations of these titles. The other thing was the over the top, almost cringe-worthy moments, when Ana and Christian would say or do things that were just sickening.
Eg: ‘I kiss his plain platinum wedding ring. He groans and closes his eyes.'
I know they’ve just got married, but I really don’t see how kissing his ring is erotic, or anything but just plain cheesy.

That being said though, I enjoyed this book more than the second, although not as much as the first. There were some glimpses of the flirty Christian that we met in the first book, but the tone of the book is a little tamer than the first. If you’re a fan of the series though, then you’re sure to like this instalment.
6.5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. Sorry it was just okay for you. I am still reading the first book. I hope I like the rest of the series a little more than you did. But I do get what your saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you about the first one being the best out of this trilogy. Much to the dismay of my friend who pretty much is in love with these three books, I just didn't find book two as appealing and book three was better but not much better for me. I did enjoy reading them though. I just wasn't in love with books 2 & 3

    ReplyDelete