Thursday, 12 July 2012

Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) 
Blurb(from Goodreads):
Daunted by the singular sexual tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house.

But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades.

While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.






Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2)(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
This is the second book in the ‘Fifty Shades’ trilogy. ** Warning – unavoidable spoilers for book 1 – Fifty Shades of Grey.
So, at the end of fifty shades – Ana leaves Christian, even though she tells him she loves him, because he has spanked her as hard as he ever would, and she knows that she can’t live with that; they are just incompatible.

Unsurprisingly, it doesn’t take long for them to get back together again, only this time Christian tells her that he wants her as she is, rather than as a submissive. He says he needs her more than he needs his kinky exploits.

As with the last book, there are a lot of sex scenes in this book, but this book has a couple of other storylines too – the main one concerning an ex-sub of Christians – Leila, who seems to be having some sort of mental breakdown.

If I’m honest I have very mixed feelings about this book. I really enjoyed the first book, and a friend told me that this one was better, so maybe my expectations were just too high, either way, I definitely didn’t think that this was better than the first one. For a start the love scenes just felt like they had been cut and pasted from the first book, and other things started to get very repetitive too – Ana’s inner goddess and her opinions, and Ana constantly being angry over one thing or another.

This book was much more ‘Mills and Boon’ than the previous one, and similarly very long! I’m sure loads of people will love this book, but for me, although I found some parts interesting, it was generally just a bit too repetitive for me, I constantly felt like I had somehow gone backwards in time and was re-reading parts that I had already read.

I also found some parts of the book laughable – Christian’s never ending supply of condoms that he pulled from his pockets everywhere and anywhere like a prophylactic magician, and Ana’s finding having her hair washed a sensual act and ‘groaning in appreciation’ - I mean what does she do at the hair dressers?

I definitely need a break from this before starting the third and final book, and I have to say that if I didn’t already own the third book, I would not be buying it after reading this! Hopefully the third book will redeem this series for me.
6 out of 10.
(Book Length: 7853 kindle locations)

View all my reviews



1 comment:

  1. Honest review!
    This one irked me. Seemed like too much drama in a way. Still this book did NOT make me want to NOT read the next one, lol. A bit invested by this point in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete