Saturday, 28 July 2012

Confessions of an Angry Girl (ARC) by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make... #1: I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who "might" be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

#3: High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry-get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.) (Sorry. That was rude.)



Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin and Netgally.)
Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions, #1)Rose is your average 14/15-year-old girl, except that as well as having to deal with all the normal crap that happens in high school, she’s trying to come to terms with her father’s death.
Rose’s father was killed in an explosion in Iraq. He wasn’t even supposed to be there, he was a contractor, not a soldier, but when he lost his job her mom was really worried about money, and so they made the decision for him to go to Iraq. The problem was that he didn’t come back.

Rose’s brother Peter has gone off to uni, leaving Rose alone with her mother at home who pretty much ignores her, and Rose’s best friend Tracy seems to be spending all of her time trying to impress the cheerleading squad, and wondering whether she should have sex with her boyfriend (who’s cheating on her!).

Rose is just trying to get on with her life, which is made extremely difficult when one of the cheerleader’s boyfriends starts showing an interest in her. Rose recognises Jamie because he used to play hockey with her brother. She’s always had a crush on him, but knows that it will never be anything real because he’s older than her. When he does start to make advances, Rose can’t quite believe it, but unfortunately his cheerleader girlfriend does and starts threatening Rose.

Rose is just sick of everything; everything other than Jamie that is. She’s sick of the way her mother looks straight though her. She’s sick of the way that her brother went away to college and didn’t even come home for thanksgiving. She’s sick of her friend Robert who wants to be more than friends, and sick of the way Tracy won’t stop talking about having sex with her cheating boyfriend. And she’s really sick of the ‘cheerleader-witches’. The problem is that now when Rose gets really annoyed she opens her mouth and allows all her bottled up thoughts out, which isn’t always the best thing to do. Because now Rose is finding out, that letting people know exactly how you are feeling, isn’t always the best thing to do.


I enjoyed this book. Rose is really wise for her 15 years, and I have to say that in my opinion she had a right to feel angry. Her anger outbursts in my opinion aren’t that bad, no worse than me with PMT really, but maybe that’s just me! This book really shows what it’s like to be back in high-school, and I am so glad I am out of there and not going back! Poor Rose may be grieving and may have anger issues, but most of the girls at her school are just total and utter b*tches. Sorry, to use that word but it does fit.
Rose had to make a choice at times in this book, choices that made her very unpopular, but at the same time were important and even critical at times. These choices however landed her truly at the wrath of the ‘cheerleader-witches’, and the harassment that she faced left me feeling rage for her.

The romance in this book was at a minimum really. We did get a couple of kisses, but it seemed that most of the girl’s boyfriends were messing around with other people behind their girlfriend’s backs. There were several discussions in the book concerning safe sex and use of condoms, as well as the ‘appropriate’ age at which to lose ones virginity, but no actual sex scenes of any kind (so suitable for younger teens).

I finished this book feeling really sorry for Rose, and really glad that I’m no longer in high school! Looking forward to the next book
8 out of 10.

Confessions of an angry girl is released on the 28th of August in both the US and the UK.



No comments:

Post a Comment