Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Knee Deep by Jolene Perry Blog Tour


 Knee Deep Blog Tour

Knee Deep Shawn is the guy Ronnie Bird promised her life to at the age of fourteen. He's her soul mate. He's more uptight every day, but it's not his fault. His family life is stressful, and she's adding to it. She just needs to be more understanding, and he'll start to be the boy she fell in love with. She won’t give up on someone she’s loved for so long.

Luke is her best friend, and the guy she hangs with to watch girlie movies in her large blanketopias. He's the guy she can confide in before she even goes to her girlfriends, and the guy who she's playing opposite in Romeo and Juliet. Now her chest flutters every time he gets too close. This is new. Is Ronnie falling for him? Or is Juliet? The lines are getting blurry, but leaving one guy for another is not something that a girl like Ronnie does.

Shawn’s outbursts are starting to give her bruises, and Luke’s heart breaks as Ronnie remains torn. While her thoughts and feelings swirl around the lines between friendship and forever, she’s about to lose them both.



Knee Deep by Jolene B. Perry

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
Ronnie and Shawn - together forever. That’s the way it’s always been, and that’s the way Ronnie always wants it to be. But whether she likes it or not, things are changing between her and Shawn, and she’s not sure if she can save what they have.

Shawn has been distant and grumpy recently, and seems to moan about everything – Ronnie doesn’t come over enough, Ronnie doesn’t spend enough time with him, Ronnie wears shoes that make her taller than him, and worst of all – Ronnie won’t go all the way with him.

Ronnie put’s Shawns moodiness and temper down to the fact that his father is angry all the time, and constantly argues with his mother. She wants to support Shawn, but he makes things difficult for her, especially when he starts getting violent.

Luke is one of Ronnie’s best friends. They’ve been best friends for ages, but now when she looks into his eyes she’s sees something different. Something that makes her insides sing.
Cast opposite each other in the school play of ‘Romeo and Juliet’, Ronnie finds herself falling for Luke big time. She tells herself that it’s Juliet falling, not her, but deep down she knows she’s wrong.

She can’t leave Shawn though, he needs her, and anyway; it’s Ronnie and Shawn forever. Right?

I loved this book. Right from the beginning the scene was set just right, and I found myself falling into this book.

Luke was just amazing. He was sweet and cute, and made me feel tingly. Ronnie was totally blind to try and ignore the feelings between them.
Shawn was a typical abusive partner; sweet one moment, and demanding the next. I had a boyfriend just like him once, and Jolene totally got the mood and setting just right so that I felt that I was right back there with Ronnie.

Ronnie was a sweet girl who was trying her hardest to make her relationship work, even when she knew there was little hope. She hung on to the love she had for Shawn, and tried to save their relationship, even when Shawn was hitting her, and she had feelings for Luke. She also exhibited behaviour typical of an abused girlfriend – she made excuses for him, blamed herself, hid her bruises, and convinced herself that it wouldn’t happen again. I really felt for her as she continued on in her relationship with Shawn; putting up with the emotional abuse, hitting, and pressurising to have sex.

The romance between Luke and Ronnie was really sweet, and a total change to the way Shawn behaved towards her. The whole ‘Romeo and Juliet’ thing could have been a bit of a cliché, but Jolene pulled it off flawlessly. Not once did I think – oh no, this has been done to death.

The storyline of this book just hooked me right from the beginning, and made me want to keep reading. It was almost with a morbid curiosity that I kept reading ‘cause I was so worried about Ronnie, and what would happen between her and Shawn next. This one really did keep me up past my bedtime!

Overall I really enjoyed this book. Ronnie’s feelings were just so real, and the magic of the book really sucked me in. It was so lovely that I got to the end and just sat here with a silly grin on my face.
9 out of 10.
(Book length: 3648 kindle locations)



Author Bio

Jolene grew up in Wasilla, Alaska. She graduated from Southern Utah University with a degree in political science and French, which she used to teach math to middle schoolers.

After living in Washington, Utah and Las Vegas, she now resides in Alaska with her husband, and two children. Aside from writing, Jolene sews, plays the guitar, sings when forced, and spends as much time outside as possible.

She is also the author of Night Sky and The Next Door Boys.



Knee Deep web site:
http://knee-deep-book.blogspot.com/
 
Jolene Perry's Website:
http://www.jolenebperry.com/

Tribute Books website:
http://www.tribute-books.com



Get your copy now!




View all my reviews

9 comments:

  1. Sarah Elizabeth, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book has such a gorgeous cover and premise! I just ADORE anything that mentions Romeo and Juliet since that's my favourite Shakespearean play, but I love books that involve actually acting out Romeo and Juliet even more because they're almost always a blast! x) The whole dynamic between Shawn, Ronnie, and Luke's relationship sounds really sweet too.

    Awesome review, Sarah! :) Thanks for letting me know about this book! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Mimi! This was a great read!

      Delete
  3. This sounds amazing. I wish it wasn't an e-book, as I don't have an e-reader and I can't really read on the computer well. At any rate, I'm so glad you enjoyed this. It sounds like a perfect blend between romantic sweetness and dramatic moments, which is great.

    And can I just say that I LOVE the cover? The girl looks so innocent, like a china doll. And I love the name Ronnie for a girl. I know a girl in a few of my classes with that name and I fell in love with it. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that it was the cover that got me first! You're right - she does look really innocent. Fab book! Hopefully it will be available in paperback in the future :)

      Delete
  4. You had me at morbid curiosity. LOL I love a book that can keep your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG the cover is awesome...i always like to collect books with beautiful cover ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this cover and enjoyed reading the book! We def needed more Luke though! :-)

    ReplyDelete