Saturday, 2 June 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(Source: purchased on kindle for only 99p!)
It is sixty years since a virus called ‘red lung’ wiped out most of the human population, and now there are 3 races living on the earth – humans, vampires, and rabids.

Allie is human, and lives on the fringes of a vampire city called ‘New Covington’. She is unregistered, which means that she doesn’t have to donate her blood to the vampires of the city, it also means that she doesn’t get fed. Slipping outside of the walls of the fringe one day, into the wastelands beyond, Allie thinks that her and her friends will be safe for the winter when she discovers a hidden storage room full of tinned food. Little does she know just how much that discovery will change her life forever.

Attacked by rabids while trying to save the life of her friend, Allie is offered a choice – die or become a vampire. Finding an intense desire to live, Allie becomes a vampire, and must then learn to live as a vampire, which means what was once unthinkable – drinking human blood.

Forced to flee the city where she has spent her entire life, Allie comes across a group of humans who are searching for a place called ‘Eden’, a place where humans are safe from rabids and vmapires. But with her hunger growing, can Allie live among them and not feed on them? And what should she do about Zeke – the boy she can’t stop thinking about?


This book had a very interesting concept – part dystopian, part classic vampire, and I couldn’t wait to read it! I have to say that unfortunately it didn’t reach up to the high expectations I had for it.

To start, the storyline was a mix of dystopian and vampire, and at times I felt like the two ideas just didn’t really mesh well together.
I think what was odd was that in a dystopian society, I kind-of felt like maybe we should have moved on from vampires, that there could have been something a bit different going on 60 years in the future, rather than good old blood sucking, sunlight avoiding vampires. I don’t know why, but I just didn’t fall in love with the concept.
The other thing that annoyed me is how the hell no one noticed that Allie didn’t breath! She didn’t even pretend to hide it! Surely someone would see her not breathing and think it was odd?!

Okay, moving on;
Allison/Allie was an interesting character. She started off wanting to be different, wanting to not kill human beings, until she realised how difficult it was. She really did try so hard though, especially to not feed off those she was traveling with – even though Kanin (her sire) had told her she wouldn’t be able to resist.

I like Kanin and his blunt attitude, and I actually liked his background story, as it proved him to be different too. I found it refreshing that Kanin, was very blunt and to-the-point with Allie when telling her about vampires;

“Sometime in your life, Alison Sekemoto, you will kill a human being. Accidentally or as a conscious, deliberate act. It is unavoidable. The question is not if it will happen, but when.”

There was no – ‘maybe you can change’, ‘maybe you’ll be different’, he gave her the facts, which was a nice change from the norm. Although I have to say that the rest of the book was then spent proving him wrong!

Zeke (the love interest) was really sweet, and I really liked him, although several of the other members of the group were a bit irritataing. Zeke really believed that people were ultimately good, and always tried to help people if he could, even if it meant endangering his own life.

Thankfully, after a slow start and a few moans, the book picked up towards the end, and I’m interested to see what will happen to Allie in the next book.
7 out of 10.

 


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave it 3 stars, too. because I was having a good day. LOL. But didn't enjoy it much... I'm a new gfc follower, btw. :)

    notjustnonsense.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete