Saturday, 23 June 2012

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare


City of Glass: Mortal Instruments, Book 3 (The Mortal Instruments) 

Blurb (from Goodreads):

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters — never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and her best friend, Simon, has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City — whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Times bestselling The Mortal Instruments.


City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)(I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
This is Book 3 in the ‘The Mortal Instruments’ series, and kicks off about a week after the end of ‘City of Ashes’.
Clary, Jace, and the lightwoods are all preparing to go to Idris - the shadow hunter country, even though Jace really doesn’t want Clary to go. Clary knows she must go if she is to stand any chance at saving her mom, but Jace thinks that the Clave will just use her if they discover her talent for creating new runes.

Telling Clary the wrong time to catch the portal, Jace hopes that the problem is sorted, that is until Clary makes up a new rune to open a portal! HA HA! Thus kicks off the antics in Idris, and what antics they are!

It’s difficult to say much about this book without giving too much away, but this third book is really action packed, and just has tension running through it all the way to the end.
First we have Clary who’s desperate to find the cure to her mother’s condition. Then there’s Simon who got dragged through the portal uninvited, and ends up in prison! There’s Jace, who finds out more about his father, and his family, with unexpected revelations. There’s also the Lightwood family who have to deal with an unexpected Loss, and questions over Alec and Magnus’ relationship.
There are also new characters introduced, and obviously the final showdown with Valentine, and the answer to the question that everybody has wanted to know since the end of book 1 – are Clary and Jace really related?!

I have to say that I enjoyed this book, and I think it is definitely the best of the first three. Jace is still my favourite character, but I think that Alec grows quite a bit in this instalment too. I also love how CC likes to keep shocking us, and still manages to make things work out for the best!
I did guess where the story was heading fairly early on, but there were still some surprises in store, and way more to the storyline than I would have guessed, and I liked how most of the characters got their own moments in the spotlight too, and the book wasn’t purely focused on Clary and Jace. (I would have liked to have heard more from Isabelle though, who doesn’t really feature much in this instalment at all.)

If I had to pick something I didn’t like, then I would have to say that the epilogue was pretty slow, which made the last little bit of the book a bit annoying, but that’s partly because the rest of the book was so fast paced.

Overall; A great 3rd book, and I will definitely be reading the next in the series.
8.5 out of 10.


 

5 comments:

  1. Tweeted to get the word out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was my favorite of the first three too. I haven't started on 4 or 5 yet. I'm still debating on whether to wait for 6 to come out before I start. CC has a way of ending books that makes me want to pull my hair out. Her cliffhangers are brutal. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this series! I love Cassandra's books. I've totally fallen for The Infernal Devices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than book one this was probably my favorite book in this series! Wonderful review! I can't say there was anything I really didn't like...maybe the ending - and that is only because I don't like waiting in between books and the way it ends, well you just NEED to know what's going to happen next. The wait for book four was brutal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read book 4. I have a copy of book 5 but haven't read that either! Was waiting to read these with my book club but then they changed the monthly books and we never read them then.

      Delete