Monday, 25 June 2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kandare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.


Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)(Source: I won a kindle copy of this book!)
Theseus Cassio Lowood (Cas) is a 17-year-old Ghostbuster, sorry, I mean Ghost-Hunter. His dad was a ghost hunter before him, and was killed by a ghost when Cas was 7. In the last 3 years Cas has been following in his footsteps, he’s gotten rid of 22 spirits so far, and this time he intends to get rid of Anna, or ‘Anna dressed in blood’ as she is known.

Anna was murdered on her way to prom in 1958, and her blood soaked her white dress, earning her her nickname. Now, anyone who steps into her old house doesn’t step out again, and she has mutilated and killed loads of people.

Cas has recently moved to the area with his mother, and after befriending the school queen bee, finds himself on a trip to Anna’s house. Hit over the head and dragged into the house by the queen bee’s jealous ex-boyfriend, Cas has a front seat for the show when said ex-boyfriend is ripped in two by Anna.

Now Cas has to find a way to stop Anna, who strangely is much stronger than the spirits he is used to dealing with, but what is it about Anna that makes her so different?

This book was interesting, although at times I found it incredibly slow and put it down and read something else!

I don’t really know what to say about Cas. Other than the fact that he’s a ghost hunter, and his father was killed when he was 7, I feel like I know very little about him. In fact I’d probably say that about most of the characters.
I think I liked the female characters most to be honest. Anna had a bit of a back story, and even though Carmel was queen bee she was also pretty fierce!

I kind of expected there to be an explanation as to why Anna didn’t kill Cas, but if there was one I missed it. I was also expecting the love story side of things to involve more than one scene, so that was a bit of a let-down. I am thankful that although this is a ‘horror’ it is not too scarey! There were a couple of moments when I thought ‘Ick’ but otherwise it was okay.

I wasn’t 100% happy with the ending, but at least the book had a real ending! I’m hoping to see more of Anna in the second instalment now!
Overall; an interesting young-adult read, just a little slow in places for me.
7 out of 10.

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I like this cover. It seems like a pretty good read even with the little annoying parts.

    ReplyDelete