Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Splendor by Anna Godbersen

Splendor (Luxe, #4)Splendor by Anna Godbersen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Fourth and final book in the ‘Luxe’ series.
Having just read the previous three books in this series I was desperate to read Splendor and find out how it all ended, and who ended up with whom. Having just finished it I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed.

The book gets off to a bit of a slow start. Diana has gone off in search of Henry and is working in a bar in Cuba. Henry comes into the bar and they meet and rekindle their affair.

Penelope has remained in New York where she has claimed to have had a miscarriage to explain the fact that she is not really pregnant. She has caught the attention of a Prince, and seems less set on staying with Henry now.

Lina has bought a house with her new inheritance, and is now waiting for her own love interest to return from his travels.

Elizabeth is living with her new husband, and has recently been decorating their new home.

To be honest, it’s a bit boring! Especially after the excitement of ‘Envy’. Some people do get what they deserve, I’ll say that, but otherwise it’s a bit of a let-down.
(view spoiler) (Read spoiler at Goodreads -> Splendor)[
Diana leaves for Paris without Henry as he has to stay after his father’s death to run the businesses, and Diana won’t stay in New York and be talked about by people who think they’re better than her – Very disappointing – No happily ever after here.

Elizabeth happily ends up with Teddy Cutting after realising her husband had been behind the death of not only her father but also her husband Will. This was both good and bad as I was happy that Elizabeth ended up happy, but she also had to go through so much more crap, whilst pregnant, that it really wasn’t fair to her at all.

Penelope got used and dumped which she deserved. But ultimately I would have liked for Penelope to finally find someone who truly loved her too, which is in essence all she really wanted.

Henry ended up alone, which he didn’t really deserve, especially after losing his father, and having to take over as the head of the family.

Lina lost her fiancée when her real background was revealed, which she totally deserved – especially after she had all that money and selfishly thought nothing of leaving her sister to work as a maid and denied her even existence. But at the end of the day she ended up alright as she still had acres of money, and I’m not sure she really learned her lesson.
(hide spoiler)]


So overall, I’m disappointed. While I’m happy that Elizabeth finally got to be happy, I didn’t like how the book ended for everybody else, and it was so slow and boring that it didn’t hold my attention the way the other books did.
5.5 out of 10.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all time favorite series. I do agree that the last book is slow and a bit of a let down. I don't believe that I have written a review for any but the first two.

    ReplyDelete