Friday, 25 May 2012

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Specials (Uglies, #3)Specials by Scott Westerfeld
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book three in the ‘Uglies’ series. **Warning** Unavoidable spoilers for books one and two – ‘Uglies’ and Pretties’.
It is now a couple of months since Tally was captured at the end of ‘Pretties’, and now she’s a special. Her bones are made of ceramic, her teeth are filed to points, and her fingernails are razor-sharp. She’s also a lot more aware – her eyes are sharper than a human’s, she can smell things better, and her brain is ‘Icy’ (she thinks very clearly).

Tally isn’t the only one though. In fact all of the cutters are now specials, including Shay, who heads up the team.

The problem is that being special is still not 100% free, as it seems that being special gives you other problems – a superiority complex, anger issues, a high level of stress on a day-to-day basis. It seems that being special is just another way for the authorities to control you, and Tally’s thoughts and actions show her to have been almost brain-washed by the specials.

Tally is missing Zane though, who has not been made a special due to his brain damage. She hates how he behaves as a pretty, even a bubbly pretty, and is intent on getting Zane turned into a special too. There’s also the problem of the new smoke to take care of.

I loved this book. From the very start it was all action, and I didn’t want to put it down.

I loved how Tally’s ‘special’ abilities made her feel, and I’m glad that she finally felt like she fitted in somewhere. It was nice that the brain-washing hadn’t removed her love for Zane, even when her ‘special’ senses made her feel sickened by his shortcomings.

I thought the storyline was good, and as I say it was just constant, on the edge of your seat, action all the way through. If Tally was functioning at a higher level, the audience certainly was too! I have to say that I liked the way that Tally loved being special so much, that it made me reading it want to be special too! There was also the array of gadgets like in the first two books, but this time with hover-boards that didn’t need metal, and sneak suits, which camouflage you and hide your heat from infra-red cameras!

(view spoiler)[ I was a bit confused at the end that Shay was trying to get Tally to take the ‘special’ cure, as Shay was such a big advocator of being ‘special’ and ‘icy’. I found it strange that Shay would want to be cured.

I also hated when Zane died. It was so sad and I really felt for Tally. He was her whole reason for being in the new smoke, and he died trying to make himself better for her.
(hide spoiler)]

Overall; an action-packed young adult read.
9 out of 10.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Omg I loved this series! I think Uglies is my favorite but the sequels were just as amazing. I wasn't a big fan of the 4th though. BUt I agree it was really interesting to see them as Specials and see that it's not as great as it seems! Awesome review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of people have told me that the fourth book isn't as good! A bit nervous about reading it now! :)

      Delete