Wednesday, 23 May 2012

The Shapeshifter's Secret - Blog Tour



The Shapeshifter's SecretThe Shapeshifter's Secret by Heather Ostler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis, as part of the ‘The Shapeshifter’s secret’ blog tour.)
15-year-old Julia lives with her over-protective dad, and thinks that she is a normal teen. She’s wrong. She’s recently been having some issues with anger, and she really begins to panic when she throws a desk against the wall in her English class, and scares her class and teacher silly.

The problem isn’t anger though, the problem is that she’s Shapeshifter royalty, and as she nears her 16th birthday, her body has begun to show the changes that will occur when she finally begins to shift into her animal form – a white tiger.

When Julia finally finds out what’s really going on though, there’s little time to get used to the idea, and she ends up in a car chase, before hitching a ride through a portal to the world that she really belongs to – Ossai. From there she has to go to a special school to learn about shapeshifting, and begins to try to unravel the mystery surrounding her absent mother.

Julia has more than that to deal with though; first there’s the problem that someone wants her dead. Then there are the questions; why is she drawn to the mysterious locked ballroom? And who can she really trust?


This young adult book had a definite ‘Harry Potter’ feel to it – a school in a castle, magical powers, strange markings on walls, secret passages, the main character being known throughout the country as being special, mysteries surrounding her mother, mysterious teachers etc.

As well as the mysteries and paranormal aspects of the book there were also teen storylines concerning friends and boyfriends and such, and even having finished the book I’m not really sure which boy Julia really favoured.

There were some interesting objects to be found in Ossai – rocks that made instant fire, flying paper aeroplane candy, rings that glow red when people lie, and the characters were also varied with water nymphs as well as Shapeshifter’s.

I can’t say that I really enjoyed this book, it just didn’t hold my attention and I found myself speed-reading to get through it. I do think that other people will enjoy it though.
Overall: Read this if you loved Harry Potter.
5 out of 10.
(Book Length: 3739 kindle locations.)



View all my reviews

8 comments:

  1. I just read a book like that myself. It just didn't hold my attention. I kinda kust wanted it to be over. Hopefully the next book interests you more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have come across a string of good ones now after loads of awful ones :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting but I get annoyed when it has the harry potter feel though I've read a bunch that were like that and I'm tired of it lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably didn't help that I didn't particularly like Harry Potter either!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Sarah for being a part of The Shapeshifter's Secret Blog Tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me join your tour! And thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so intrigued about this book just for the face that it's about werecats -- I mean, you don't see that idea every day! x) But it's too bad that this wasn't as stunning as you hoped it'd be. I'm reading a book right now where I'm so tempted to skim too, and it's no fun at all! Although I really like the Harry-Potter-ish feel you said it has! Hopefully your next read will be more of an attention-grabber? :)

    Thanks so much for the awesome honest review, Sarah! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely LOVED rachel vincent's faythe sanders werecat series, they were brilliant!

      Delete