Saturday, 26 May 2012

Heven and Hell Blog Tour - Charade by Cambria Hebert - Review and Guest Post!



The Heven and Hell Blog Tour is finally here!



Charade (Heven and Hell, #2)

Blurb (from goodreads):
Dying at the hands of a psycho was a shock. Having my life returned to me by an angel was incredible. Being named a Supernatural Treasure and being given Sam as my guard was pretty darn awesome. Acquiring a debt for it all—well, I should have seen it coming.

Now here we are, fighting demons from Hell, caring for a boy that I just don’t trust, and traveling to faraway places to return a treasure to its rightful place. Nothing is as it seems. Everyone wears a mask; everyone puts on a charade. It’s up to us to separate the truth from the lies and reality from fiction. A hard task when my new reality involves fallen angels, witches and dragons… and did I mention Hell?

Anchoring me down through it all is Sam. Sam, who must face tragedies of his own and is put to the test again and again.

If we fail in our task, life as we know it—life as you know it—will end. Forever.





My rating: 5 of 5 stars

(Source: Purchased from amazon for only £1.92!)
This is book 2 in the ‘Heven and Hell’ series. **Warning** unavoidable spoilers for book 1 ‘Masquerade’.
So charade starts off where ‘Masquerade’ left off. Heven is now a supernatural treasure. She’s guarding the treasure map (scroll) and trying to avoid demons, whilst working at the ice-cream parlor and trying to spend time with Sam. Sam is still working multiple jobs whilst trying to look after Heven and his brother Logan, and things are still strained between Heven and her Mom, best friend Kimber, and Kimber’s boyfriend Cole.
Unfortunately for poor Heven, she keeps being attacked by Demons, and she’s still hasn’t got permission to go on the trip to Italy that she desperately needs to go on to return the scroll to the catacombs in Rome.

As if she hasn’t got enough to deal with with the demon attacks and the scroll, there are plenty of other surprises in store for Heven, with shocking revelations about Cole, Logan’s increasingly strange behaviour toward her, and her mother’s new boyfriend!

Add a fallen angel to the mix, a seriously hacked-off best friend, and a demon invading her head and Heven’s life is a seriously bumpy ride! Can she get the scroll back to where it belongs though? Why are so many people behaving so strangely towards her? And what sacrifices will need to be made for the greater good?


Wow! There is just so much going on in this book it’s difficult to know where to start!

Poor Heven is having a tough time of it, although she seems to be coping better with the removal of scars than she was. Sam is torn in two trying to look after both Heven and Logan, and Logan’s strange behaviour is beginning to concern him.

I really felt for Heven in this book, as she was trying so hard to be nice to people who really weren’t nice to her, and struggling to cope with some very strange behaviour from people. She was also strong enough to carry on no matter what the odds, whilst trying to help other people too.
I really didn’t like Logan. I thought he was shifty, and didn’t like the way he tried to come between Sam and Heven. I also disliked Heven’s mom and the way she was being nice to Heven again just because the scars were gone. I really can’t say how much Heven’s mom’s behaviour towards Heven annoys me. She should be supporting her daughter, not shipping her off to church camp!

I thought Sam’s voice was lost a little at times cause when I was reading his point of view I kept thinking that I was reading Heven’s point of view which confused me a little. Not sure why this was, but it just seemed like Heven’s character was bleeding into his a little, although this is probably to be expected a bit anyway because of the mind-bond between them anyway.

I was really surprised at the revelations (don’t want to give too much away) about Cole and Kimber, I really didn’t see them coming! Although I actually liked the one about Cole – I thought it really added to the story!

There were also some great lines in Charade, this being my favourite: "If you cannot breathe, I will breathe for you. If your heart will not beat, mine will beat harder. If you do not live, neither will I."
(Sam to Heven) I just Loved this line!

I have to say that I loved Charade right from the beginning. As soon as I started reading, Cambria’s wonderful writing style just put me right back into Heven and Sam’s little world, and I was entranced! To be honest I made this book last as long as possible just cause I didn’t want to finish it! I can’t wait for the next book ‘Tirade’!

Overall this was a book with and interesting storyline, plenty of twists and turns, shocking revelations, and sweet romance. Highly recommended to anyone who likes young-adult fiction.
9 out of 10.
(Book length: 8105 kindle locations.)

View all my reviews


Guest Post by Cambria Hebert!


I am so happy to be here today for the Heven and Hell Blog Tour in celebration for the release of the newest Heven and Hell novel: Charade. 
A lot goes into a book. A lot of words, a lot of typing… a lot of a writer muttering in crazed sentences asking people if random odd things make sense. There is editing, a characterization, planning and formatting and publishing. 
Some day’s it seems endless. Not all of it is fun. But some of it is. J One of the best things about writing a book (besides the writing) is the cover. Giving a book a “face”, a “look”… an identity is really fun and exciting. I love trying to think up designs that will represent the story and maybe incorporate as many aspects of the characters and plot that I can. I think covers should be eye catching, intriguing and moving. 
Of course, I can daydream up covers all day long but the truth is I am not a designer. I know what I like but I don’t always know how to make it look that way. LOL. That is why I have a very talented cover designer: Regina Wamba who is the owner of Mae I Design. You can check out her great work at http://www.maeidesign.com. I did work with Regina to tell her what I was imagining and she put those dreams onto paper.
For the Masquerade cover we knew what we wanted but couldn’t find an image that wasn’t buried beneath copyrights (copyrights are sticky little things) so Regina got a model and arranged a photo shoot then she took those photos and edited them and turned them into the cover. I think it’s gorgeous and really represents the book.
The Charade cover… that was an easy yet a hard cover. It was hard because there were several covers that I had to choose between and they were all SO good. For the Charade cover we also used a model and Regina took the photos and transformed them into all the good choices I had to choose between. Lol.
For today’s Heven and Hell Charade Tour post I thought I would show you some of the covers that I had to choose between!!! You can see how hard of a decision I had to make and I will also tell you why I chose the cover I did. AND I will also show you the Before and After of a photo of Sam so you can see the kind of work that Regina does to photos. J
For the Charade cover I had 3 options to choose from:


Those are the three cover options I had for Charade. They are all awesome as you can see. So Why did I pick the third option? Well, I thought that in the first option that Sam looked a little too much like a vampire, LOL. He’s really kind of flawless looking, perfect. Sam isn’t flawless or perfect and he definitely isn’t a vampire. I wanted something a little rougher. 

The second option is awesome. I had a hard time not choosing this one and I don’t really know why I didn’t choose it other than I wanted to see more of Sam’s face. But I like this one so much I used it one a bookmark. Lol.

The third option is the one I chose. I chose it because I like the warm tone of his skin and I thought it went well next to the warm tones in the Masquerade cover. I like the way half his face is shaded like Heven’s on the Masquerade cover and I like the way you can see his scruffy jaw line. It gives the cover the “roughness” that imagine Sam having. I like the flames on the title choice because it looks a little more “manly” than the circles and it also lends a little brightness to the dark. And let’s be honest, he looks hot. (well, gheesh, someone had to say it.)

To give you an idea what kind of editing Regina (my cover designer) does let me show you a Before and After picture. Below is a picture of Sam. The one on the left is the unedited photo. The one on the right is the edited one. P.S. I think they are both good. LOL.

 

Pretty cool, huh?
So that is some of the behind the scenes cover work that went on in the making of the cover of Charade. A HUGE shout out to Regina Wamba who uses her magic wand to create such awesome designs.

So what about you? What do you think makes a great cover?

 Cambria              


Cambria Hebert is the author of the Heven and Hell series. She has an irrational fear of chickens, loves werewolves and thinks that math is human torture. You can find her sipping a latte or hot tea and typing away at her keyboard, writing what the voices in her head tell her too.
You can get her books where all books are sold:

                                               

And Finally; The Winner of the giveaway of an ebook of Masquerade is...

a Rafflecopter giveaway



Congratulations! Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!


Get your copy of Charade now!



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful review and guest post. Thank you so much for purchasing Charade reading it and writing a wonderful review. I really enjoyed your thoughts on the book and I am really glad that you liked the story line. :)
    I appreciate all the time and thought you put into the review and getting the post ready for the tour. It looks great!!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Cambria :) I loved Charade! :)

      Delete