Sunday, 22 April 2012

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful DisasterBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
Abby Abernathy has moved thousands of miles away from her home in Kansas, to attend University somewhere far away from her gambling, drinking Dad. The last thing she expects is to find herself falling for another gambler in the shape of Travis Maddox.

Travis is the shaven headed, motorcycle riding, tattooed bad boy that all the girls want, and Abby is determined that she will not be added to his list of conquests. But when her best friend is dating Travis’ roommate Shepley, Abby and Travis are thrust together by circumstance, and something truly beautiful begins to happen between them.

Things are not plain sailing though, and Abby and Travis seem to constantly find things to disagree on. The question is can they ever really make a relationship work? Or will it just end up a beautiful disaster?

I enjoyed this book, although I have to say that Abby was infuriating at times. At first she’s totally clueless to the fact that Travis is in love with her, and then she tries to push him away even when she feels the same way. She also loves to run away from her problems, no matter what is wrong she just packs her bags, leaves, and goes into hiding.

Travis is complicated. He obviously has real feelings for Abby, but he also has a temper and a need to constantly stake his claim. How he doesn’t get arrested I don’t know because he seems to be constantly fighting people or beating them up. Why Abby was happy to put up with this behaviour I don’t know, and why she thought it was okay to date other men while Travis was obviously in love with her and generally volatile I don’t know either.

To be honest, both Abby and Travis treated each other badly at one time or another, and a lot of the time their opinions on things were at different ends of the spectrum. That being said though, you were compelled to keep reading to find out what was going to happen, as the story was so addictive. It also liked that there was a lot more to the storyline other than Abby and Travis’ relationship.
Overall; an enjoyable romance, and well worth a read.
8 out of 10.
(Book length: 6262 kindle locations)

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea this was a "New Adult" read, that makes it even more interesting to me. Something about those train wreck relationships, I just love to read them and put my two cents in! Enjoyed your review:) Thanks for dropping by my IMM earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover looks intriguing actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover. And this book sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review of this book! I agree, Abby annoyed me quite a bit throughout this book. And Travis was almost a ticking time bomb but I loved his character! I actually thought the book was okay but the unhealthy relationship was a bit disturbing!

    ReplyDelete