Saturday, 31 March 2012

Shepherd's Moon (The Shepherds, #1)Shepherd's Moon by Stacy Mantle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
Alex is a 24-year-old Shepherd, and more importantly, she’s the first female shepherd ever, and this hasn’t made her very popular. Worst of all, it wasn’t even a career choice, but something that she was forced into as punishment, after she illegally transported a heavily pregnant were-jaguar across state lines.

Being a shepherd means trying to control were-animals, which is mainly done through the ability to read and interpret their thoughts and talk back to them in the same way. Alex has always been able to communicate with animals, and it is this ability that basically got her the job, even though she didn’t want it, and has no idea where this ability came from.

What follows next is a story full of twists and turns, as one problem after another gets handed to Alex to deal with, from murdering weres to rogue mountain lions, and even some weres that she strangely can’t sense telepathically at all. The arrival of a nephalim who seems to want to do her ill, and her boss’s suggestion that she work with him also cause tension, and the absence of one of her friends is one more thing to worry about.


I enjoyed this book, although I did find it difficult to keep track of what was going on. Alex just seemed to get more and more work thrown at her and I just had no idea what was happening at points, and where she was going with certain plans.

The style of this book reminded me a lot of Karen Chance’s Cassie Palmer series, which also seemed to have a lot going on at once, and at times Alex and her headstrong ways remind me of Faythe Sanders from Rachel Vincent’s shifters series.

Even with the confusion on my part though, this book was well written, and had obviously had a lot of thought go into the plot line. The twists at the end were surprising, and I would certainly be interested to find out what happens to Alex in the sequel.
7 out of 10.
(Book Length: 5142 kindle locations)


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely recommend this book to all readers. I loved each and every character masterfully created by the author. It was a true get away from reality read at a time when needed to get away. I was immersed from beginning to end. I am looking forward to seeing many more stories from Stacy Mantle.

    ReplyDelete