Sunday, 18 March 2012

RavenRaven by Nuayma Jeggels
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
I have to start by saying that I found this book quite confusing, so the summary that follows may sound a bit strange, but it’s what I understood to be happening as I was reading:

To start with there are some journal entries which talk about elementals and celestials. Elementals are monsters that are linked to the elements – fire, wind, earth, water, and lightning, and celestials are people that keep the mortals safe from the elementals by using gemstones which glow in their hands. There is also a problem with the mortals falling ill, dying, and becoming undead, or infected as they are called.

Then the story switches to a girl called Raven (although her actual name is Shardaie) who doesn’t remember the first 4 years of her life, has been in a coma, is now living with someone called Celio(her guardian?), is never allowed to leave the house, doesn’t know her family, and is then told that in 5 months she will be a celestial – she has no clue what this means.( – oh, and this will take place on a different planet!)

Shardaie is told what to say to people on the new planet about where she came from and who she is, and is given a locket that apparently belongs to her which will be important.

I’m sorry to say that this is as far as I read (– around 25%). I hate not finishing a book, but I read because I enjoy reading and I really wasn’t enjoying this book. I found the whole business of Raven having two names confusing, the opening part about elementals and celestials was interesting at first, but ultimately just confused me with the sheer number of characters and amount of information given, and after forcing myself to keep reading up to 25% I really couldn’t read any more.

Overall, I really didn’t enjoy this book and I couldn’t finish it. I found it confusing and ultimately boring. I’m glad that other people enjoyed it but it just wasn’t for me.
2 out of 10.
(Book length: 7596 Kindle Locations)


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like this one didn't even come close for you. I do so appreciate honesty in a review though, thanks.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete