Sunday, 18 March 2012

InkInk by S.J. Davis
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
Sparrow has been through a traumatic car accident in which her mother died. Now she cuts herself in order to release her grief and anger.

Before she died Sparrow’s mother told her watch for voices, and to find istowun-eh’pata (Mateo), and get ink. (Thanks Mom)

Now Sparrow is hearing strange threatening voices, and being followed by Mateo. He wants her to get this tattoo that her mother was referring to but worries if she will be able to deal with the pain of it.

This is a short story, and to be honest, I’m sorry to say that I’m glad it was short. The story jumped around, and I found it really difficult to follow what was going on. One of the main parts of the story also revolved around a ‘reservation’ that Sparrow lived in on the UK. I’m sorry, but I live in the UK, and the only reservations we have are for wildlife and forested areas. Funnily enough we do not have reservations like those that the Native Americans live on in America, because this is not America and they are not native to this area!

It’s holes like this that ruin this story. There’s talk of a white buffalo story, and Sparrow being this white buffalo, but it is never really explained, and I’m not even sure what these beings were that were following her and threatening her – Pixies? Fairies? Spirits? Were-wolves? I really don’t know.

The end was also a bit of a non-end. She got the tattoo, The End. Bit bizarre really.

Overall, I’m confused, bored, and the author obviously hasn’t done her research.
A dismal 2 out of 10.
(Book length: 719 kindle locations)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment