Sunday, 25 March 2012

Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather #1)Illicit Magic by Camilla Chafer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
Stella is 24 and has had a difficult life. She ended up in foster care at the age of 5, can remember very little of her life before then, and has also had to live with unexplainable occurrences which have in the past had people labelling her a witch.

On leaving work one night she realises that she is being followed, and tries to escape her pursuers. Narrowly avoiding them she makes it home, only to be harassed by a woman called Etoile, who randomly turns up at her door and demands to be let in. After ‘shimmering’ (like teleporting) her way into Stella’s apartment, Etoile explains how a group who call themselves ‘the brotherhood’ are chasing down women all over Europe who they believe to be witches and burning them at the stake.

Etoile takes Stella and they catch a plane to America where she meets with a witch’s council, and is moved to a safe house where she will be able to learn about magic and how to use it, because Stella’s parents were witches, which means that that the magic is in her blood.

I quite liked this book. I found it a little difficult in the beginning – I just didn’t find that it held my attention very well at all. This improved at just over half-way through with the introduction of a sexy love interest, and the mystery surrounding him.

The ending was okay. It was a little odd that the main threat wasn’t what was really after Stella at the end, but I suppose this left the way open for the second book. I will say though that I am getting a bit fed up of all these books which leave a partial cliff-hanger ending. I hate not knowing how a story ends!

Overall, an enjoyable read, and I would consider reading the sequel.
7 out of 10.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I'm only half way through but loving the story. It's got a great story line that I've not come across so far. Very well developed characters and wonderfully thought out and creative reveals for their talents and abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never fitting in is a sad way to grow up. Lonely, afraid to hope or even dream. More questions than answers. Abject terror that changes everything. Realization comes with a price.

    This story will engage and bewitch you. The characters have depth and will remain with you.

    Hyacinth
    Look at these PCX Dallas IT Support Look at these PCX Dallas IT Support

    ReplyDelete