Friday, 9 March 2012

Hunger Games

 



(I was given this book for free on a read-to-review basis.)
Well, I ‘ve finished it, and I have to say I didn’t want it to end!  I’m not going to do a synopsis of the story cause if anyone hasn’t already read it, I’m sure they have an idea about what it is about, and if not the movie is out soon!

To start with I loved the characters in this book. Katniss (cool name!) was just so real and down-to-earth. She could shoot a bow and arrow but she didn’t boast about it, she took her sister’s place, but didn’t make a big deal of it, and although she was determined to go back home to her mother and sister, she was also realistic about her chances of winning against the ‘careers’.

Peeta was a total sweetheart. I guessed that he was in love with Katniss, and also that he was helping her when he was teamed up with the careers in the game. I hate that Katniss couldn’t find the words to say to tell him how she felt at the end of the book, but although a happy ending would have been nice, the way the book ended did make me want to read the next book! I’m guessing that we’re going to be in a Gale or Peeta situation in the next book though.

As necessary as it was, I really hated all the deaths in this book. It was just too sad! I hate that poor Rue had to die, and I even felt sorry for some of the others, especially foxface whose death was basically an accident. I felt sorry that as smart as she was she had fallen foul of something as simple as eating the wrong berries!

I thought the writing of the book was excellent, and the author built such tension that it really was difficult to put down. I’m looking forward to reading the next instalments, but not sure how my poor heart will cope with another round of the hunger games! I’m so glad that this is fictional, cause if big brother was like this today, I think it really would be compulsive viewing – the kind where you don’t want to watch, but can’t look away!
8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment